5 Major Causes of Slip & Fall Accidents
Preventing Slip & Falls
Slip and fall accidents can lead to very serious, even fatal, injuries. Even when we are being as careful as possible, accidents can still happen. Still, taking preventative measures in certain types of places and situations can definitely reduce your risks of a slip and fall accident.
Here are 5 major causes of slip and fall accidents that you should be aware of:
1. Wet floors: Those slippery when wet signs are just put out for decoration. This is a REAL WARNING that you should heed. Wet floors should be completely avoided in businesses and at home if at all possible.
2. Bathroom bathing: Bathtubs and showers can be very tranquil places, but also can be very dangerous. Bathroom accidents are a prominent cause of slips and falls. Use a slip-proof shower and bath mats, safety rails, and extreme caution if at all possible you are showering or bathing.
3. Low & poor lighting: When you can’t see where you’re going or if there is something unseen in your path, that can be extremely dangerous. Try to avoid poorly lit areas or bring additional lighting with you. Flashlight apps are also a useful tools in these situations.
4. Stairwells: Stairwells, especially poorly maintained ones, can often lead to bad falls. Take your time and don’t run up or down stairwells if you do not absolutely have to. Also, use the handrail to help you keep your balance.
5. Uneven sidewalks & concrete: Raised or uneven concrete can easily cause even the most coordinated person to trip and fall. Carefully keep an eye on your path and avoiding poorly maintained sidewalks can help reduce your risks.