Kids and sports go hand and hand for many parents. Many kids play multiple sports and are very active the majority of the year. This offers excitement, fun and opportunity, but it also can leave your child vulnerable to injury. Keeping kids safe and healthy while playing sports is imperative.
Here are 5 things you can do to help prevent sports injuries in children:
1. Be sure your child has a thorough physical before the start of any sports season.
2. Resting their young bodies is important. They should take 1 or 2 days off per week and at least one to two full months off per year.
3. Flexibility and stretching should always be a priority. This will help prevent injury when playing.
4. Be sure your child follows the rules. Rules are often put in place mainly for safety reasons. Never encourage your child to bend or break the rules to win.
5. Your child should always wear in tact protective gear. Make sure their gear fits properly and is worn during practice as well.